Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has had a lump on her shoulder for a week or two now.

Customer Question

Hi. My dog has had a lump on her shoulder for a week or two now. It seems to be going down and the surfaces has scabbed over but not sure whether to take her to our local vet to get it checked out. What do you think?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the dog had this lump?
Customer: About a week ago, I suppose. I thought it was a spot (she gets acne on her back from time to time) but it became hard and she started to flinch whenever it was touched.
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Suki. She’s 5
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No. She’s fine in herself otherwise.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
This is what the lump looks like. We’ve been treating it with fucidin cream to help relieve any infection
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 14 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Thank you for the photo. It's isn't clear what the lump represents as the scab now obscures it. Sukis isn't an emergent patient and so continuing to monitor the area is reasonable. I would clean and disinfect the area twice daily with over the counter chlorhexidine solution such as Hibitane (or generics) found in your local drug store. Allow the scab to fall off naturally and when it does, hopefully there will be normal skin underneath.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your help. I will continue to monitor it and see if it gets better by itself or gets worse. Thank you again.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.