RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

Stomach noises, Miniature dachshund, He usually has his tea

Stomach noises
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Miniature dachshund
JA: How long has the Dachshund had this stomach problem? Any recent changes in appetite?
Customer: He usually has his tea around 5 food is still there untouched he regularly has these stomach noises but once every month maybe but the noises started this morning and he hasn't been sick but had slight diarrhea earlier on
JA: Does anything look different about his stool? (i.e. color, texture, etc.)
Customer: My girlfriend said his stool was like liquid earlier on but hasn't had a poo since this morning
JA: And what's the Dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Lincoln and he's 21 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Not that I know of no

Hi there,

Welcome to just answer. We are an online based advice service.

You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your dog. So the main issue is he is not eating? Have you tried offering him some other foods that he might like for example chicken/fish/scrambled eggs? Often diarrhoea can be caused by dietary indiscretion, picking up something they shouldn't do or possibly  a bug/bacterial infection, they can also get campylobacter, giardia and other infections. I would recommend feeding him some bland and easily digestible food. I would also advise starting a probiotic such as Yudigest or canikur/prokolin. I would also advise if he continues having diarrhoea that he needs to be seen by his vet. If he doesn't want to eat anything at all I would also recommend contacting your emergency vet as there could be several things going on, for example infection, high temperature, stomach ulceration etc. Dachshund's are also prone to a condition called GDV where the stomach dilates, but usually this causes retching/attempted vomiting and they become very lethargic very quickly. So If this occurs please take him to the vets urgently. I would also touch his tummy gently to see if you feel any pain and check that his gums are nice and pink.

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi the main problem was he keeps on having really loud stomach noises every so often and we have changed different foods and no matter what we give him he still seems to get these stomach noises. When he does get them he doesn't eat that day and usually by the next day he's alright but I just wanted to get answers on why this keeps happening or if it's something serious. He's usually a playful energetic dog and today he's just been lied at the side of me and hardly played with his toys as far as I'm aware he's only eaten a dentastix this morning which he has every morning and hasn't eaten his tea today. My girlfriend took him for a walk around lunchtime and he did have diarrhea then but since hasn't done anything else.Thanks
Ben

It is not really possible to say without examining him and palpating his abdomen and other clinical tests. however it is very common for dogs with food allergies to get increased gut sounds and borborygmi. It could be that you have tried him on different foods however many foods still contain the same basic ingredients. It would be best to try him on a hypoallergenic diet such as royal canin, hills or purina hypoallergenic. This is a strictly hydrolysed diet meaning they cannot have allergies or intolerance to this. However today sounds different to just simple stomach noises. I would also consider faecal testing to check for campylobacter, giardia etc as this could be causing recurrent issues.

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The woman we got him off used to have him on a raw food diet where we have him on butchers dog food pouches with kibble we have tried 3 different types of pouches and it seemed we had found him ones which doesn't have the stomach noises. This is the first time he's had it with this food really so this is why I'm confused as it has been quite a while since we tried him on this food without any incidents

Butchers is definitely not a hypoallergenic diet and often can be involved in food allergies. I would definitely stop that and start a hypoallergenic type food one of the brands recommended above.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
if he was allergic to something in the food would he not have this all the time when he ate the food not like once a month

Not necessarily, sometimes food intolerances only display intermittent symptoms. Sometimes it can also be related to certain treats or other foods causing inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. However a diet trial is definitely worth considering.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay so of I change to the hypoallergenic diet and this still occurs then what get him checked at the vets ?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Because he woke up at 4 this morning hungry and ate all his food and he's been fine this morning and his tummy is quiet now

Thats good I am glad he is feeling better this morning. Yes I would recommend trying hypoallergenic diet and if any further issues persist it would be best to get him checked.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay thank you so much