Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My hamster has a ear wart in the left ear. may I know how

Customer Question

Hi, my hamster has a ear wart in the left ear. may I know how can I prevent ear warts?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your hamster?
Customer: he has an ear wart and I’ll be bringing him to a local vet specialised in hamsters. i wld like to know how can I prevent warts from occuring again?
JA: Where does your hamster seem to hurt?
Customer: left ear...near the flap area
JA: OK. What is your hamster's name and age?
Customer: Tamago, 14 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have explained his condition above. able to see it?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (3GPS272)
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 15 days ago.
Hi there , you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm glad you are seeing a specialist and they will be able to confirm if this is a wart. If it is, it should be removed before it gets bigger.
Most hamster warts are caused by Polyoma virus which is a highly transmissible virus passed on from hamster to hamster.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Dr Linda, many thanks for your response. I have attached another pic which clearly shows the location of the ear wart. Based on your observation from this pic, can it be easily removed via a surgery? Or do we just wait for it to drop off by itself?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (P2QVZZ2)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also, I would like to find out what is the cause of this virus and how can I prevent future occurrence?
If he does have this virus, which is just one theory, viruses are passed on so he would have gotten it from another hamster. Papilloma virus is also a possibility.It could also be that the growth is unrelated to a virus.Realistically, other than keeping hamsters away from those with a known infection there isn't much else that can be done Re prevention.From the photos, I would suspect it would be relatively easy to remove at this stage but this is easier assessed in person.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
there isnt a need to remove the ear canal or whatsoever right?
If virally related, we usually advise removing and, when small, this usually means just removing the wart itself.If related to e.g. ear mites or an infection, we would treat this first and the growth may shrink back by itself.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay, got it. thanks so much!!
Not at all.Please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.Take care!
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Oh yes, is the virus zoonotic?
could it also be that my hamster’s body immune response is weak and hence, he got the virus?
No, as far as I'm aware, there are no reported cases of these viruses being passed on.
It can potentially indicate a weakened or aged immune system but not always.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi, i have just brought my pet hamster to our local veterinarian for a check on his wart. The veterinarian suggested to remove the wart by either cryotherapy or a normal surgery. In your opinion, what could be the implications of cryotherapy? Is there a higher risk that the wound might be infected?
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 11 days ago.
I have limited experience with cryotherapy and if it is something your vet performs, they are best to ask on this one! It is not commonly available in general practice so it is great they can offer it to you.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok, noted. thanks very much
Apologies I can't be of more help on that one!