Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My hamster has wet tail he is already 2 years old and

Customer Question

Good morning. My hamster has wet tail he is already 2 years old and thought it was his age but all the symptoms look like wet tail. I didn't know how possible it is to get antibiotics? He is still eating a bit and can drink water. Thank you for any advice. I don't think our local vet treats hamsters.
JA: Hi there. The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the hamster's name?
Customer: Bob
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He started acting stressed all of a sudden and has lost weight. His hair seems thinner. His ears are folded back and. He doesn't seem to be able to open his eyes very well. I thought it was just his age but then I saw his tummy looked dirty and looks like he has had diarrhea and his rear end and tail are all dirty and he is normally very clean. After reading up about it the symptoms seem to point to wet tail.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 16 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Bob is unwell.Most (if not all) small animal vets treat hamsters. A vet visit is needed so we we confirm the diagnosis and provide the required treatment which may include fluids, a special food to syringe and antibiotics.Antibiotics are prescribed so can only be issued by a vet in person I'm afraid.Hamsters can pass quickly from this disease so it is imperative he is seen ASAP.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 15 days ago.

Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in to ensure all is well with Bob?