Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

We have a cross cairn terrier with yorkie. He has lost an

Customer Question

Hi we have a cross cairn terrier with yorkie. He has lost an extremely amount of weight almost skin and bone his stools are like clay and he goes about 7 times a day which is always runny, he also seems to be starving all the time gulping down his food and begging for more and he is blind in both eyes, but he is still very active
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Cairn Terrier's name and age?
Customer: Rafferty and he 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that is all
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 16 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Rafferty has been unwell.When did this start?
Has he seen a vet?
Have any tests been run?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi It started about 3 months ago while in lockdown unfortunatley we have no money to go to vet because my husband is out of work and can barely pay the rent
Thank you for this additional information.
Unfortunately this isn't likely to be something we can diagnose or treat from home.His symptoms are very concerning and likely indicate a serious medical issue.The most likely considerations would include diabetes, Cushing's disease, liver failure, kidney failure or cancer.Ideally, a vet would examine him and run some basic tests such as a blood and urine test.Treatment will depend on what is going on.If unable to afford the cost, I would advise contacting local charities such as the rspca, pdsa or Blue Cross to see if quality for their assistance.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Not at all.Please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.