Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

Budgie has uncontrollable head movement, all day since

Budgie has uncontrollable head movement
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the budgie's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: all day since yesterday
JA: What environment do you keep the budgie in? Are there other pets or animals around?
Customer: yes but since it’s been moving we head crazy ily we kept her separate
JA: And what's the budgie's name and age?
Customer: He’s a few months old born in jan and she’s called blue shes*
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Blue?
Customer: no that’s allCustomer: Chat is completed

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Blue. "...uncontrolled head movement" is unclear to me. Can you upload a video of this behavior? You can text a video to our conversation or upload it to YouTube or a similar app and then give me the link to it.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’d be happy to wait if u could just take a look at this video thank you

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please.

The excellent video reveals torticollis, cervical muscle contractions producing neck torsion. This is seen with lesions involving cranial nerve XI - often infections of the central nervous system such as paramyxovirus but many bacteria can find their way into the central nervous system as well. Regrettably, the prognosis for these birds is quite poor as antibiotics have difficult penetrating the blood brain barrier and viruses don't respond to antibiotics. An avian vet (www.aav.org) may attempt therapy with the antibiotic enrofloxacin which does have the ability to penetrate into the brain. It would need to be given by injection, however, at least until the abnormal head movements ceased. Forced feeding by tubing would be required while he was hospitalized as well.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.