Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has eaten raw chicken sausages, Bichon frise about

My dog has eaten raw chicken sausages
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What size is the dog? How much of the chicken was eaten?
Customer: Bichon frise about 7kg in weight and 6 sausages
JA: When was this? Has the dog thrown up since then?
Customer: Last night 3.30am and no she has not
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roxy age 10
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No She said very bloated Nd lethargic

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

While we frown upon our dogs eating raw chicken due to the potential for salmonella infection, I suspect that the sausages had been processed in a manner in which to limit bacterial contamination. They're not toxic to Roxy and so because they represent an unusual food for her, transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea may arise but shouldn't need to be addressed. There's no value to inducing vomiting at this late date but I would fast her for 12 hours to allow her stomach to empty naturally. Water should be left down. You can feed and water as usual after her fast.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Are there any signs I should be worried about? She has gone for a walk and appears ok. Just really concerned.
I cannot thank you enough!

You're quite welcome. Persistent vomiting and/or diarrhea (particularly with blood) would indicate bacterial infection. Curiously, even such an infection is expected to be self-limiting within a few days.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
You are fantastic! Thank you so so much!
RegardsDebbie uk

Thank you for your kind words, Debbie. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.