Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

She has developed a sore underneath her mouth that appears

She has developed a sore underneath her mouth that appears to be getting worse.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Samoyed
JA: When did the Samoyed's mouth start hurting?
Customer: It doesn't appear to be hurting. Its a wound that is getting bigger
JA: And what's the Samoyed's name and age?
Customer: Maggie, she is 2.5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She has been to the vets x2 recently with hair loss. They think she has developed alopecia x.Customer: Chat is completed

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Can you upload photos of the sore to our conversation? You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device. You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (S7GZQ2L)

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please.

This is an epidermal collarette - a roughly circular skin lesion most often indicative of bacterial skin infection (pyoderma). A solitary skin lesion such as this might be cleaned and disinfected twice daily with over the counter chlorhexidine solution such as Hibitane (or generics) found in your local drug store followed by application of a topical triple antibiotic cream. I would expect it to resolve with treatment in 14-21 days.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. Would it have to be a chlorhex solution or could I clean with normal saline? What % calories solution should I use?

Saline isn't antimicrobial. A 2-4% chlorhexidine solution diluted as per the label's instructions is appropriate. I use a 4% product (Hibiclens, which I believe is sold as Hibitane where you live) undiluted on my own skin.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks. I will have a look in some pharmacies.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.