Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

It has just eaten a silicone collapsible beco bowl,

Customer Question

It has just eaten a silicone collapsible beco bowl
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: labrador
JA: How much does the Labrador weigh?
Customer: 26kg
JA: When was this? Has the Labrador thrown up since eating the silicone?
Customer: Doesn’t look like it happened in the last 5 hour
JA: And what's the Labrador's name and age?
Customer: hone 1 and 1/4
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She seems very happy
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She is due to be fed( should I feed her or leave it
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Hone ate a collapsable silicone bowl.

1. Do you have fresh (NOT expired, please check the date on the label) 3% hydrogen peroxide?

2. She ate this within the hour?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She ate probably over the last five hours
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don’t have hydrogen peroxide
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
But I might have as a dental mouth wash?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have prokolin
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Lilly’s recovery wet food
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Kara Thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 15 days ago.

Ok, thanks. Please give me a few moments. The mouth wash won't be a good idea, but I know you were trying to think out of box solutions!

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 15 days ago.

How big was the bowl?

Did she chew it up into small pieces? Or you don't know, you just came home and it was gone?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I came home and it was gone there are a few small pieces; I’m not overly worried as she seems happy
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 15 days ago.

Since she's a bigger dog and she chewed up the plastic into smaller pieces this may pass. But if she didn't chew up the plastic into small pieces then the chance of an obstruction is much higher. Since this just happened over 2 hours ago it is too late to induce vomiting. We can try some things at home to see if we can get her to pass the pieces successfully, but you will need to watch her closely for signs of an obstruction. It is NOT unusual for the pup to few feel for hours or days, they won't feel bad unless a piece gets stuck, and that can take a while. I recommend starting with a Vaseline (or any generic, nonscented petroleum jelly) sandwich. Take a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with Vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with a second slice. Feed it to her bite sized piece by bite sized piece or she will make a huge mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the pieces slip rather than catch. Typing more...

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 15 days ago.

For the next few days, until the pieces pass, she'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the pieces are surrounded, and the gut isn't irritated contracting on plastic edges. A homemade diet for this is 1/3 parts boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 parts boiled, white rice. Add 2-4 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), or cooked squash to each meal for fiber.

You'll need to check every stool for pieces in the next few days. It is possible this won't pass. Gastrointestinal motility is never normal with a foreign material present. So while most foods are processed and stools produced in less than 24 hours it may take days for the plastic to pass. Rarely it gets partially caught and moves very slowly so may take even longer. But as long as it keeps moving and she remains comfortable and eating I am happy. Signs that things aren't going well, and she needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy. Typing more...

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 15 days ago.

If you aren't seeing fragments in the next day or two a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to see where the pieces are is an option. Some plastic, although not all, does show up on radiographs. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have her checked.

Once the pieces are passed and she's feeling well then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week or so to get her converted back to regular food.

It has been my pleasure to help you today. You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What if I have no vasceline
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 15 days ago.

If you can get some, or the generic equivalent soon that would be great.

Do you have cats? If so the "hair ball" pastes (Cat Lax, or Laxatone) which are really flavored petroleum jelly would work too.

If none of those are available then the high fiber bland diet can be started now.