Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 1 year old cat, she has been sick a dozen times

Customer Question

I have a 1 year old cat, she has been sick a dozen times yesterday but not today and has had diarrhoea for a couple of days. she’s drinking plenty but not eating. When should I consider taking her the vets?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the cat also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: She has always slept a lot so that doesn’t seem to have changed but she is less playful than usual
JA: Does the cat seem to be in any pain?
Customer: not that I can tell, she just seems to be off
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Hera
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: she is spayed and has up to date immunisations, and she has flee and wormer every month
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 11 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Hera has been unwell.

At this stage, I would 100% be bringing her in for a vet check.

Vomiting so much and not eating can quickly lead to abnormal salt and sugar levels. She is also at risk of dehydration.

Her signs could be due to e.g.

• A gut obstruction

• Pancreatitis

• Toxin ingestion

• Cholangiohepatitis

• Etc

A vet will examine her and may run some tests such as a blood test and abdominal scan.

Treatment will depend on what is found and her diagnosis but may include e.g. iv fluids and anti sickness medicine as well as antibiotics.

Hopefully she is on the mend very soon.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Could these symptoms be caused by the heat we are experiencing? My flat doesn’t cool very well so it’s hard to create a cool spot for her

Heat stroke can make animals very unwell and symptoms can include e.g. lethargy and vomiting, but it is unlikely this is the case here.

We tend to see heat stroke in those who are outside in direct sunlight or trapped in e.g. closed cars.

Heat stroke is uncommon in acts.

As she is in a flat, I do not think this is our diagnosis.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your help, I will get her to the vets ASAP

No problem at all.

This window remains open and please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.

Take care,

Linda