Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Diagnosed with overactive thyroid, has been eating cat grass

Customer Question

Diagnosed with overactive thyroid, has been eating cat grass indoors and has been vomiting for two days, only a yellow colour and white foam
JA: I'm so sorry the cat isn't feeling well, but those details will be very helpful for the Expert. Could the cat have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: No, circumstances at the moment means we are living with my daughter on temp basis and cat will not go out, another cat on the premises
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: pebbles. 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: she is under W right hence taking thyroid n
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 14 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda,  a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Pebbles has been unwell and echo your concern.

Has she been taking her thyroid medicine the last couple of days?

When was her thyroid level last checked with a blood test?

Are her gums pink and wet?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Her blood test was about three weeks ago and diagnosed the overactive thyroid. I opted for the drops thyronorm, I can only put these in her food morning and night, 0.5ml. Not always eats the. Food I put down with the drops in so a bit high missy, she has been eating the cat grass for a few days now and therefore I have taken it away, And she has not eaten anything today

Thank you for this information.

So, the diagnosis is very new.

We usually advise starting medicine and then re-seeing a patient after 2-3 weeks so we can adjust the dose as needed and check their kidney function to ensure it has not been affected.

Thyronorm should not be given with food. It is not effective in this manner. If unable to give a tablet or to give the liquid in her mouth, consider a cream that goes on the ear. This should be discussed with your vet.

Given everything you have said, she needs to see a vet ASAP.

She may have uncontrolled hyperthyroidism +/- something else such as kidney or liver disease.

She may need anti nausea medicine and a fluid drip and we need to come up with a plan for her overactive thyroid.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,

Stay safe,

Linda