RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

I just travelled with my cat in heat and he travelled really

Hi, I just travelled with my cat in heat and he travelled really badly, very heavy breathing heart rate and panting. He has travelled plenty before perfectly fine, so I think the heat has made it particularly stressful. I am about to leave him with my friend to visit my mother (he has stayed with this friend before). However it has been a few hours and he is still panting, fast breathing and a bit restless? I feel really uncomfortable to leave him? And wondering if he needs to go to a vet to check if heatstroke or stress or both?
JA: Hi there. I know panting can be worrying. Let's get you talking to the Vet. What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: he is around 14 months old, and he is called Eggie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Eggie?
Customer: he tested positive for mycoplasma around 6 weeks ago and had some symptoms (runny eyes, gingivitis and snoring) he had 2 rounds of antibiotics and has been much perkier and healthier since….. until now

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your cat. Yes this is very concerning. Obviously when warm cats will pant but only when they are very hot. Usually this should resolve within a few minutes back into normal temperatures. A few hours of fast breathing and panting is quite concerning. I would definitely advise having him checked by a vet. It could be related to his previous mycoplasma infection. There are many reasons why cats could have breathing difficulties including heat stroke, infection in the chest, fluid accumulation in the chest etc. I would advise calling your emergency vet ASAP. I hope he feels better soon.

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you! I took him to the emergency vet, they don’t think heatstroke, but they were concerned about his rapid breathing and panting so kept him overnight for monitoring. Hopefully I can pick him up today!