Susan MRCVS
Susan MRCVS,
Experience:  Expert
112619934

Male old tyme bulldog 2years old. He has had a bit of a

Male old tyme bulldog 2years old. He has had a bit of a fight with nxt door but 1s dog day before yesterday and where he was bit has scabbed over but I tryed to wipe it down a bit today and it has puss coming out of it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the Bulldog been licking or rubbing the pus?
Customer: It is nxt to his ear so he cannot reach it
JA: What's the Bulldog's name?
Customer: Bear
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No

Hello my name is ***** ***** I'm a vet in the UK.

I'm sorry to hear Bear has been in a fight with another dog. It is very common for a dog bite to get infected, they have all sorts of horrible bacteria in their mouths'.

Is Bear well in himself? Eating and drinking normally today and acting normally?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
he is fine in himself eating drinking. He has a bad leg from a torn ligament last month he has just finished his 30 days of pain killers

I'm glad to here Bear is well in himself. This means that the infection is unlikely to be in the blood stream. Do you know how deep the wound is? can you take a photo?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I'm just wondering if a photo might reveal the severity of the wound and the infection

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can you give out a prescription for him if needed? Then I will do the video call

However I recommend as there is now pus and the wound is infected that you call your local vet practice for a physical examination. The worry is the infection will cause damage to the deep tissues and possibly get into the blood stream. Antibiotics may well be required.

If the wound is superficial and the infection is very mild it might be appropriate to treat with antiseptic wash/cream. A physical exam will reveal the best course of action

We are an online advice service only and cannot legally prescribe any medication. Only a vet how has performed a physical examination would be allowed to prescribe.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK thanks for the advice

You're welcome. Wishing Bear a speedy recovery