Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My german shepherd ate a grape and we’re really worried as

My german shepherd ate a grape and we’re really worried as it says it can be fatal
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What size is the Bassett? How much was eaten?
Customer: our pup is just under 20kg and 4 months old and one grape
JA: When was this? Has the Bassett thrown up since then?
Customer: about 45 minutes ago we’ve tried to make him sick, we tried to get hold of hydrogen peroxide but the pharmacy won’t give it to us for an animal
JA: And what's the Bassett's name and age?
Customer: rollo, and he’s 4 and a half months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear this with Rollo. Although one grape is not likely to be life threatening, it could still be harmful. I would advise contacting your vet ASAP, then can give him an injection to induce emesis quickly and safely. Hydrogen peroxide can work, but it certainly has some risks so I generally don't advise its use in these circumstances.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know how you get on.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No vets are open until tomorrow morning so we’re worried that it will already cause damage

All vets will provide a 24hr out of hours service. If you call their regular number they will put you through to their on call vet or out of hours service.