Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My cat peed a little on me, it was light red in colour. It

Hi my cat peed a little on me, it was light red in colour. It was only a little bit
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this change in the cat's urine? Do they seem more tired than usual?
Customer: Just now, yes she does seem a little tired
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 5
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Boo?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello, she is behaving normally, just as if she's feeling hot

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Boo. Both bacterial urinary tract infection and idiopathic (unknown cause) cystitis are important considerations when either hematuria (blood in the urine as appears to be the case) or stranguria (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine) had arisen. Bacterial urinary tract infection is quite rare in male cats (more rare in the USA than elsewhere). Her vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of the bladder through the abdominal wall – the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine, and perform a complete urinalysis in an attempt to clarify which urinary disorder is present. We need to consider urinary calculi (stones) and neoplasia (benign and malignant) in the urinary tract as well.

If infection is found, a broad spectrum antibiotic is usually chosen to be given for 7-10 days. The urine should be rechecked 2 days after the course of antibiotic had been completed to make sure that the urinary tract had been sterilized. If no infection is present, treatment consists of diluting the urine with supplemental fluids and feeding wet food only (a prescription wet food might be recommended by the vet) plus analgesia in the form of a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** take her to the emergency room?

Boo is unlikely to be an emergent patient but should have the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. Please note that wait times are excessive at veterinary ERs during these strange times and so always call first before setting out should you choose this route of care for Boo.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

You're quite welcome. My best to Boo. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi there, Boo's urine episode was caused by stress. she is doing well. Thank you for your help

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.