Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Half my dogs face has swollen up, it’s on his face so half

Half my dogs face has swollen up
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this swelling? Does the dog lick the skin as well?
Customer: it’s on his face so half his face is massive
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harvey and he’s a year
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: he’s a french bulldog but nothing else
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (6M4QMQQ)

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear of this with Harvey. The most likely cause of this swelling is an allergic reaction to a bite or sting (such as a wasp or bee sting). Other possible causes would include an abscess or salivary gland blockage.

If he seems OK in himself (bright interactive, normal breathing, pink gums), then we could try giving him a 4mg Piriton or 10mg certirzine tablet and seeing how he is in the morning.

If he seems distressed, lethergix, has noisy breathing at any point or the swelling persists then he should certainly be checked over by a vet ASAP.

I hope that answers your question?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What if I don’t have those tablets to hand ? Is there anything else I can give him?

You can purchase them from an all night pharmacy. There is nothing else I would advise giving him that you are likely to have at home.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The only thing I have are these
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (VMTMPMM)

OK. You can safely give him one of those every 24hrs

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

They can cause drowsiness though