Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Pet, Cat, I adopted a one-and-a-half-month-old kitten and

Pet
JA: What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Cat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I adopted a one-and-a-half-month-old kitten and she can't poop
JA: Have you given the cat anything to help with the constipation?
Customer: what could i give him
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Luna
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Nu
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear your kitten has this issue.6 weeks is very young for a kitten to be away from their mother ; is there a reason she left so soon?When did she last pass poo?Has she had any signs such as a reduced appetite, vocalising or straining?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The cat is very playful, eats very well.
Ok, that's good.
When did you first notice they were unwell?
Are there any other signs?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I adopted her for 3 days. And only today he did but a little poop, but he can't poop normally
What do you mean by "he can't poo normally?"
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He has a swollen ass and poop on his ass
Would it be possible to send a clear photo of what you mean please?
Does he have diarrhoea when he does poo?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I tried to wipe it with wet wipes and warm water.
Unfortunately from the photo, due to the fur, it is difficult to really appreciate the swelling.Diarrhoea and straining and swelling can be linked to issues such as intestinal parasites or anal gland disease. Less commonly, we couoe be dealing with a hernia or abscess.A vet visit is needed. They will examine the kitten to check for faecal impaction and examine the rectum and anus.The kitten will need an effective dewormer if not recently given and may require additional treatment such as a special diet and anti inflammatories.
Ensure the kitten is eating good quality kitten food and water and consider a probiotic anti diarrhoea paste such as protexin prokolin which can be purchased online or from a pet shop, which should help improve the stool quality.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
OK thank you very much. Do you know how much is paid at the consultation? And where is the nearest office? I'm staying in Luton.
Costs vary from clinic to clinic so you will need to ask ask directly.Typically, a consult is from £25-45 and any medicine will be on top of this.There are many vets in Luton so you would be best to search your local area for those with good reviews. As an example, Vets 4 Pets Luton is a popular option and they can be reached on
01582 720088
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok, thank you very much

Hi there, how is your kitten doing today?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi. It's the same. I'll go with her to the doctor.

Yes, absolutely, that's for the best. Good luck!

Customer: replied 13 days ago.