Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Our dog is coughing and vomiting up salvia or some kind of

our dog is coughing and vomiting up salvia or some kind of mucus
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has it been since the dog threw up?
Customer: She coughs and sometimes at the end vomits, its not really vomiting its more like she is spitting up some mucus. The last time this happened was an hour ago.
JA: Could she have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we know of
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mazsa, 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Nothing else
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
this is what she spits up

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Masza is coughing so hard she is spitting up a bit of mucous.

1. How long has she been coughing?

2. Does she go to dog parks, on walks, to the groomers, or is she boarded? Do you have neighbor dogs?

3. Any history of a heart murmur?

4. How is she feeling otherwise?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
1 She has been coughing since this morning2. We do take her to parks, and we have a shared podium in our flat where there are other dogs as well, and she was boarded for 4 days about a week ago.3. No history of heart murmur4. She has appetite, and wags her tail walks around but she's a bit tired from the coughing
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I prefer staying on chat

Thanks, ***** ***** that is very helpful! A cough simply means she is experiencing airway irritation. A cough can be related to heart disease, including heartworm, lung disease secondary to a viral, bacterial, fungal or parasitic infection or tracheal irritation due to a bacterial, viral or fungal infection. In a young dog infectious disease is by far the most common cause. Of those kennel cough or infectious tracheobronchitis is one of the most common causes. Even if he has been vaccinated for Bordetella (kennel cough) we cannot vaccinate against all of the agents that cause kennel cough and some dogs will still get sick even with the vaccine. The good news is that dogs that are vaccinated usually don't get as sick as dogs that haven't been vaccinated. Since she has a lot of exposure to other dogs kennel cough seems likely.

If she is feeling fairly well otherwise, is still able to eat and drink well, isn't too lethargic, or running a fever (rectal temperature greater than 103F), and she doesn't have a green or yellow nasal or eye discharge then you could try taking a watch and see approach and using an over the counter cough suppressant if she is coughing so much she cannot sleep. But if she gets very lethargic and coughing hard enough to vomit food, or refusing to eat then that concern me. I recommend an exam if she progresses to those symptoms. Typing more..

No worries, a phone call is an option, but NOT necessary to get a repsonse.

Make sure she gets plenty of fluids, lots of rest as the more active she is then more she will cough, and eats well. Add warm water or low salt chicken broth to her food. The better hydrated she is the better she will feel and the thinner her respiratory secretions will be. You can take her into the bathroom with you when you take a hot bath or shower so she can breathe the steam which is soothing to her airways and thins mucous, making it easier for her to breathe. You can also use a humidifier in the room she sleeps in,

Her cough should slowly resolve over the next 2 to 3 weeks. Most of the time these dogs feel pretty well so it's a matter of keeping them quiet and suppressing the cough if we can.

If the cough is very bad you can use human cough/cold medications with Guaifenesin (an expectorant) and Dextromethorphan (a cough suppressant) only such as Benylin or Robitussin DM can help. Give 1 teaspoon per 20 to 25 pounds every 6 to 8 hours.

If she is running a fever this is almost certainly a contagious infection and if she is running a fever and is lethargic then an examination is definitely warranted as pneumonia may have developed. Rarely this can be a sign of canine influenza, but those dogs tend to be much sicker with a very high fever and severe lethargy. If she suddenly gets much worse and has a high fever she should see her veterinarian. Aggressive supportive care can save her life with a bad influenza infection. Make sure to let them know her symptoms when you are bringing her in as she should be quarantined.

You do want to keep her away from dog parks, the groomer, doggie daycares, and neighbor dogs, and ideally she should not be walked so she doesn't spread this. It has been my pleasure to help you today.  You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** we give her less food than usual? Or this doesnt affect her condition

No, I see no reason to feed her less.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your help. Have a nice day!

Glad to help, you as well!