JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

My tortoises eyes aren’t opening this morning and he doesn’t

Customer Question

My tortoises eyes aren’t opening this morning and he doesn’t seem to want to eat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the tortoise have any allergies?
Customer: not that I know of hes only just turned 1 years old
JA: And what's the tortoise's name and age?
Customer: Donatello and he was 1 on 24 August
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Donatello?
Customer: We have 3 other tortoises that we bought at the same time in July. I have weighed them every Saturday and Donatello is the only one that has started the same weight all the others have put on weight
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
File attached (G53755V)
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 20 days ago.

Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 19 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Tetyana-moderator
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr. Jake. Im a UK based vet. im sorry to hear of your concern with your tortoise. the signs you describe could be due to multiple reasons.

if he hasnt put on any weight then this could be due to:

lack of eating- this can be due to malformation with the mouth which makes it difficult for them to eat

poor nutrition- its important that adequate fresh veg is provided daily and supplemented with vitamin and mineral powders regularly alongside adequate  ultraviolet lighting with a high % such as 10-12% for tortoises

competition for eating - if your tortoises are together then they will need to be split up when mature as tortoises are territorial and will fight if in close proximity to others.

gastrointestinal parasites can lead to lack of weight gain which would require a faecal exam analysis and treatment by a local vet who has experience in reptiles.

the eyes being closed could be due to chronic malnutrition as above, it can also be due to inadequate temperatures resulting in semi hibernation - temperatures at the basking spot should be atleast 30 degrees with a background temperature of 27 degrees- this should be monitored with a digital thermometer with a probe

the closed eyes can also be a sign of an eye infection - in tortoises this can occur due to multiple reasons but lack of vitamin A can predispose this so make sure you have a diet and supplement which contains vitamin A

as this tortoise is young, small and hasnt gained weight i would recommend making an appointment with a local vet who is experienced in reptiles who will be able to conduct a full examination, if an eye infection is suspected then treatment for this can be provided, if other underlying conditions are evident then further tests such as blood tests and x rays may be required . i would recommend taking a stool sample for this to be analysed under the microscope to rule out parasites

i hope all this information helps

kind regards

Dr. Jake