Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My cat has a bald patch on her side for over two months, Not

Customer Question

My cat has a bald patch on her side for over two months
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is her skin bumpy or itchy as well?
Customer: Not itchy but the skin is hardened on that patch
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Suzie she is about 18
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Suzie?
Customer: No
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 21 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No changes, no know medical conditions, yes I have photos
When sending pictures or videos do not text them to this number as it is just message forwarding number. They will then not be sent through for me to review. Instead you can send them through the Just Answer application or attach them to the message line with the paper clip icon or camera symbol. Press the camera or paperclip symbol by the chat box where you type. You may also press the “Add Files” button. Then select your photo(s).
Or you can upload to google drive or drop box and share the link with me here.
The Just Answer app can also be downloaded and it may be easier to then upload pictures/video through the app also.
Will it be possible to send some photos to review?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
She has had this problem before and the vet gave her a steroid injection which actually cleared it up immediately.
I have been treating it with salt water or silver spray and teatree cream but not visial improvement
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The last time she had this was about 3 years ago
Will review. Thank you.
Licking at the area some ?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I never see her licking
As the steroid did help last time, there may be some itching and licking leading to the hair loss from licking at it perhaps when you are not there to watch.
Diphenhydramine (which is the active ingredient in Benadryl) can be dosed at 1 mg/pound body weight every 8 hours. This may help some itch and inflammation.The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical sprays with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applieed. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it. This can webe sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon. It is generally more effective when the two different types of sprays are used together as explained below.1. Thomas Labs MicoChlor Plus Spray
The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also.
2. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief. The lidocaine and hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation.Until able to acquire the above items. The area can be cleaned with dilute Chlorhexidine. This can be found at the pharmacy over the counter. It may go by the name Hibiclens or Hibiscrub. Then can apply triple antibiotic ointment to assist with potential infection. Topical hydrocortisone or lidocaine can assist with itch and inflammation.These items are over the counter and can be found at pet stores, the pet section like at Wal Mart or Amazon. I gave one brand example however many different brands are available. Most important is to look for the same active ingredients.If able to trim the hair back some from the edges it may also allow for more airflow and drying of the area and slow the spread of these issues. As the hair holds in moisture and this can lead to more bacteria and yeast to start growing. They may not like the area cleaned however it can be most helpful.
If you are outside of the USA here are some other products that may be more readily available in your country.
The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.1. Duoxo pyo (these items all have Chlorhexidine and Climbazole in them)
2. Duoxo pyo spray
3. The Triz Chlor line also has these Ingredients also. Here is a link to review.https://www.dechra-us.com/Files/Files/SupportMaterialDownloads/us/US-025-DET.pdf
Do you have any other questions at the moment ?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Sorry I am just on a call, I will read your message ASAP
No problem.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
OK thank you for this information I will see what I can find.

You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Suzie today. I wish Suzie a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.