Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Our cat (mid length, fine fur) has been scratching more than

Customer Question

Our cat (mid length, fine fur) has been scratching more than usual this past week, and doing more grooming than usual. he has now got several bald places on his back and flanks. He always does groom a lot, and pull out loose fur, but this is a lot more. He is treated with a reputable flea treatment. As is the house. he is obviously not a happy boy at the moment. I am concerned as I wouldn't like the bare patched to get infected. And I want to get my lad back to his usual sunny self. Our other cat who is short coated is fine. We have a visiting cat who from down the roadhas bare patches that are red, raw looking. Could this be the root of the problem? Advice please
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Fleas can be tricky to get rid of, but the Expert can share some tips. What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Feber, 8years old. He moved in 3 - 4 years ago.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Feber?
Customer: Usially fit, still eating well, doesn't leave our garden. Good mouser but can't be bothered with birds or hedgehogs! Liked a soft bed at night! A real cuddly pet
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 20 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.What is the name of the parasite prevention used and when was it it applied?Has Feber ever had any skin issues prior?
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 19 days ago.

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I shall certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

I would consider fleas, mites, a bacterial infection,  stress  or an allergy.

Some cats are more sensitive than others so the other cat being OK doesn't rule anything out.

Ensure the parasite prevention is effective against both fleas and mites e.g. Advocate.

As he sounds quite itchy, a vet visit is sensible. They can examine the skin, prescribe anti itch medicine to allow the skin to settle and perform any diagnostic tests needed such as a skin scrape or swab.

This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.