Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Itchy dry and biting his back and tail, pommian poddle

Customer Question

itchy dry and biting his back and tail
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: pommian poddle cross
JA: When did you first notice the dryness? Has the animal been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: he has been doing for awhile
JA: And what's the animal's name and age?
Customer: Ted is 4 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Ted?
Customer: nope
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Ted has this issue and appreciate your concern.Has he had this problem for more than 3 months?
Has he seen a vet?
When was he last treated for parasites and which product was used?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
no his hasn't seen a Vet as i am retired and only get state pension
And when was Ted last treated for fleas/mites?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
2 months ago
Ok, sure.Would it be possible to send a photo of the affected skin?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
not able to send Photo
Ok, I understand.I am just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.
Ted's signs could have several causes.Given his age and breed, and because his itchiness is focused over his back and tail, the most likely culprits are:A flea allergy dermatitis, an anal gland infection or atopic dermatitis (allergies to e.g. food or pollen).At home, we should ensure he is up to date with his flea and mite prevention, which is monthly. I would give an effective spot on such as Advantage or Advocate now, and also deep clean the home and use a flea spray containing IGR such as Indorex. Cheaper supermarket products are often ineffective.If he scoots or drags his bum or there is a fishy smell, a vet needs to express his anal glands and he may require some antibiotics.If the skin is very inflamed and broken, he is at the stage where he needs prescription medicine. This is usually some anti itch medicine to break the itch scratch cycle and allow the skin to settle as well as a medicated wash to reduce yeast and bacteria levels.Short term, a buster collar and a hypoallergenic bath may help. As may, some skin supplements. However, very itchy dogs need vet care to help the skin to heal.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
he has broken the skin a few times
If his skin is currently broken, the sooner he sees a vet the better. This is so we can get him more comfortable and prevent (or treat) any skin infection.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
ty
Not at all and please let me know if there is anything else.