Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat Leo is urinating blood, 2 years old, He had a urinary

Customer Question

My cat Leo is urinating blood
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How old is Leo?
Customer: 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He had a urinary block when he was younger but no problems since
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 21 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Leo is having this issue.

Unfortunately we do know that those cats who have previously had a urinary blockage are more prone to urinary issues going forward.

This is a true emergency is Leo is showing any signs of being currently blocked e.g. straining without urinating, only producing small drops of urine, a tense or bloated abdomen, vocalisation or distress. This would warrant an immediate vet visit.

If Leo is settled and passing good quantities of urine, a visit in the morning should be ok as long as we monitor closely.

This is likely cystitis, which can be triggered by e.g. stress, an indoor lifestyle, a dry diet or being obese.

Other considerations would include an infection or bladder stones, but these are less likely.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
He is not in any distress nor is he crying out when passing liquid, he is running about chasing the laser pen but is visiting the litter tray more often than normal and is passing blood in his urine
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Nor is he bloated

Thank you for confirming this.

This tells us he likely has bladder inflammation.

He is at real risk of another obstruction so do watch closely for this and ensure he is drinking plenty of water and is eating wet food, to which water can be added.

Do also ensure his breathing is settled and his gums are pink and wet.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
His gums are pink and wet and his breathing is settled, we only yestery changed the wet food that he is eating due to running out and buying a quick replacement, after being away on holiday for a week, is it wise to keep using this different brand

Abrupt diet changes can lead to a stomach upset but if his stool was normal today, it is likely ok to continue the new food.

It may be that you being away has made him a little stressed.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I'll try and get him to the vet first thing tomorrow morning, we were hoping that having our second cat Lucy would alleviate the stress and he has had people pop in for him but we haven't been away this long while having him. His stool was normal today though. We will try and get him to the vet tomorrow morning as early as possible
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you for your assistance

Not at all and wishing him a very speedy recovery. Take care.