Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

I think my dogs may have tape worm contracted from a fox

Customer Question

I think my dogs may have tape worm contracted from a fox living in a garden next door but one. I have been keeping an eye on one of my dogs who has lost weight I have kept them wormed 1 every three months with Drontal and fleas monthly please can you advise next step please
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about the worm?
Customer: no not yet as my daughter was looking after them when I was on holiday and fle and wormed them whilst we were away
JA: Has the dog vomited recently? Any signs of blood in their stool?
Customer: no vomit small bits of blood in stool
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: poppy peony and primrose 3&4 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don’t think so is this going to be a very expensive procedure please
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 14 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

The most common tapeworm of dogs is contracted by ingesting a flea containing a larval tapeworm. Drontal contains the wormer of choice - praziquantel - when addressing tapeworms. If a dog has lost weight we need to consider other causes than tapeworms which unless in very large numbers, rarely cause clinical signs in dogs.

His/her vet will want to perform a complete physical exam including diagnostics in the form of fasted (at least 4 hours but never restrict water) blood, fecal, and urine tests. Imaging in the form of X-rays and ultrasound might be recommended as well.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
How often can they have frontal as they have had it 3 weeks ago should they have another course or leave it till they are next due

Because the time it takes for a larval tapeworm to become an adult is 3 weeks, worming with praziquantel at 3 week intervals is indicated.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.