Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My budgies wing is red and very sore with feathers falling

Customer Question

My budgies wing is red and very sore with feathers falling out
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the budgie was losing feathers?
Customer: Its been about 3 weeks, ive soaked it with saline solution and covered it in iodine but its not getting any better, its like its rotting away
JA: Is the budgie's skin bumpy or itchy as well?
Customer: a bit bumpy dont know about itchy....i dont think so, its a breeding budgie
JA: And what's the budgie's name and age?
Customer: doesnt have a name i breed budgies, about 2
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: its wing just looks like a stump and the as soon as the ends of the feathers start to show they can just be pulled out
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 15 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently? Any smell to the area ?
The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical sprays with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applied. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has hydrocortisone in it. This can be sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon. It is generally more effective when the two different types of sprays are used together as explained below.1. Thomas Labs MicoChlor Plus Spray
The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also.
2. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief. The hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation. Many other brands can be found with hydrocortisone too.Until able to acquire the above items. The area can be cleaned with dilute Chlorhexidine. This can be found at the pharmacy over the counter. It may go by the name Hibiclens or Hibiscrub. Then can apply triple antibiotic ointment to assist with potential infection. Topical hydrocortisone or lidocaine can assist with itch and inflammation.The market for this species is very small and such not many products are available for them. That is where we look for the active ingredients. That is most important. If you can find a product only for this species that is great. However in practice those are the same active ingredients we use on these species too. I hope that this helps to explain this better.In UK the following items can be found.The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.1. Duoxo pyo shampoo (these items all have Chlorhexidine and Climbazole in them)
2. Duoxo pyo spray
3. Duoxo pyo pads
4. The Triz Chlor line also has these Ingredients also. Here is a link to review.https://www.dechra-us.com/Files/Files/SupportMaterialDownloads/us/US-025-DET.pdf
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
no to all, as far as i have seen
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
brilliant thank you i will try these
You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and your little one  today. I wish for  a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.