Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My dwarf hamster she has this cut below her ear and loss of

Customer Question

My dwarf hamster she has this cut below her ear and loss of hair like a patch
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is the hamster bleeding a lot?
Customer: Not a lot but like I see a bit of blood
JA: What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: She's nearly 1 and she's called Toga
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, thank you
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 15 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
can we continue here and I'll send you the pictures now
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (2QTPP71)
Is there any debris in the ear canal? Any smell yo the ear canal?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don't think so
The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical sprays with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applied. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it. This can be sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.1. Thomas Labs MicoChlor Plus Spray
The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also.
2. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief. The lidocaine and hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation.Until able to acquire the above items. The area can be cleaned with dilute Chlorhexidine. This can be found at the pharmacy over the counter. It may go by the name Hibiclens or Hibiscrub.The market for this species is very small and such not many products are available for them. That is where we look for the active ingredients. That is most important. If you can find a product only for this species that is great. However in practice those are the same active ingredients we use on these species too. I hope that this helps to explain this better.If you are outside of the USA here are some other products that may be more readily available in your country.
The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.1. Duoxo pyo (these items all have Chlorhexidine and Climbazole in them)
2. Duoxo pyo spray
3. The Triz Chlor line also has these Ingredients also. Here is a link to review.https://www.dechra-us.com/Files/Files/SupportMaterialDownloads/us/US-025-DET.pdf
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Would you be able to send me a link of it on Amazon so I can buy it please
I do not have a link. However the Douxo products there can be looked for. The names above are available to look for.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
any of those?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It says they are for dogs and cats are they safe to use on her?
The market for this species is very small and such not many products are available for them. That is where we look for the active ingredients. That is most important. If you can find a product only for this species that is great. However in practice those are the same active ingredients we use on these species too. I hope that this helps to explain this better.
The spray form is a very easy way to apply to the area also.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is this it?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
also her nails are long should I trim them?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She could have cut herself when she was cleaning herseld
That is the product. It is hard to say how it happened, however if a cut from scratching nails or something rubbed on the area then the skin care will be similar yet.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Do you think I should trim them then? And do you think she will be okay?
We can provide advice here through this format. If skin is having issues it can be most important to address that to allow for healing and to prevent infection. We can keep this message open for some days such that we can stay in touch as our little one moves forward. I am here daily and will be happy to hear how things are going. The messages now come directly to my phone for ease of this.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay I'm going to buy that spray tomorrow and also buy small nail clippers
Those will come in handy to assist the keeping the nails shorter too. It is a very good sign still eating and drinking well too. Do you have any other questions at the moment.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'll keep checking her. I see her itching her ear a lot which is probably why it happened I just get so worried
You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Toga today. I wish Toga a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you :)
Happy to help.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hey I'm just wondering how do you get a dwarf hamster to open its mouth so you can see it's teeth because she won't let me no matter what I do I've been gentle and her mouth just won't open
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'm worried because she seems as if she's eating less so I'm wondering if she's broke her tooth or something
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 10 days ago.

Hello. How have the other Issues been coming along ? Is there any bad breath? Often a small like Qtip end can be used to help open the mouth gently.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No bad breath and she does seem to eat sometimes I don't know if it's me just worrying she might eat more at night. As she makes a mess with her food
Has This been happening more recently ? That is good no bad breath. Any more drool or pain?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No drool and I think no pain or she wouldn't be eatingat all , do you think it's all in my head the worrying?
If the weight is not changing, she feels good, she is not drooling, bad breath, or any other signs of a bad tooth or oral issues then it sounds like the mouth is doing quite well.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Okay thank you I'll let you know how she is over a few days
Sounds good. Have a good afternoon my friend.