Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

I’ve just had my 11 year old MaremmaX to the vet for

I’ve just had my 11 year old MaremmaX to the vet for additional pain relief. However, the vet didn't put the dosage on the bottle. The dog has had cryogenic stem cell surgery 5 yrs ago for severe hip dysphasia, and has chronic joint issues..from birth. He has gotten a 4 weekly cartrophen needle all his life..which is now 3 weekly but is not enough. I’ve looked at the chart on line..but want to make sure I’m giving him the correct dose. The syringe in the box has KGs marked..do i just fill to the 30 kg mark please? It is a 1.5 mg oral suspension. Thankyou.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Frankie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so…thanks
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I have tried to add a photo of the box and syringe, but it doesn’t seem to be working.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Sorry, cryogenic surgery was 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am aware his weight seems light. However, the veterinary surgeon advised after the cryo surgery to keep his weight around 30 kgs..he has had joint issues in all his legs all his life, due to severe malnutrition and neglect before i liberated him from euthanasia at 16 weeks old, weighing only 1.6 kgs and unable to walk..no cartilage in his joints.

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Did you mention he is on Cartrophen as well?

Is Frankie taking any other medication at the minute?

If he is still on Cartrophen I'd be reluctant to give him the 30 kg dose (since there are 2 Non-Steroidical Antiinflammatories given at maximum dosage; they can cause gastro-intestinal issues). Usually, vets start multi-modal pain-relief management. The following is just a brief model that I personally use, there are many variations to this.

Stage 1: Joint supplements AND Non-steroidical anti-inflammatories (Loxicam OR Cartrophen OR Onsior)

Stage 2: Joint Supplements, NSAIDs, Pardale (paracetamol and Codeine)

Stage 3: Joint Supplements, NSAIDs, Pardale, Librella? (if available!)

Stage 4: Joint Supplements, NSAIDs, Pardale, Librella, Gabapentin (care!)

Stage 5: Joint Supplements, NSAIDs, Pardale, Librella, Gabapentin (care!), Tramadole (care!)

My best recommendation, if unsure of the dose, is to give your local vet a call and ask for clarification. Even reception should be able to help since we, vets, are required to write down clinical notes. And the dosage should be there.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thankyou. Its evening in Australia. I will ring the vet tomorrow to check the maintenance dosage.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
We have done water therapy, glucosamine chondroitin Forte daily all his life. We tried Forsythe, no better results than the glucosamine daily. We’ve also tried acupuncture, which in addition to mainstream medicine for the last 2 years, gave my husky, who died at 17, fantastic results for pain and movement, when mainstream medicine was not enough on its own. It was just too late to ring my vet when i got home. We also did bloodwork to check kidney function etc, prior to commencing loxicom. I think the 3 weekly needle is Cartrophen..the one that promotes the production of synovial fluid in his joints. Sadly, it’s all about quality of life and comfort now. Thankyou for your guidance.
Sounds like a good plan. Feel free to keep me into a loop.