Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

7 week old blue and gold macaw throwing up a lot of his hand

7 week old blue and gold macaw throwing up a lot of his hand rearing food and starting to go lethargic, struggling to get him into a vet because they won’t accept new clients
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has it been since the macaw threw up?
Customer: he threw up yesterday, I managed to get some food into him later night but he wouldn’t take much and seemed to not want to swallow it but hasn’t thrown that up as far as I know
JA: Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: no he’s in a box with two others, on a pelleted straw bedding
JA: And what's the macaw's name and age?
Customer: hes 7 weeks, he’s not got a name yet we’re a shop he’s for sale or he will be when he’s ok
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: we got him in lat Wednesday he was eating fine but the last couple days he’s started doing this last*
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can I speak to a vet?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I will continue to wait but the bird needs attention asap so will look elsewhere aswel, I’ve rang round vets no one will see it and it will die I think it’s a crop infection it needs antibiotics and without them it won’t last the weekend

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Perfect thank you

From what you're describing, the little one will need a hands-on examination. Due to the RCVS laws, we are not allow to dispense any prescription-only medication before examining him.

You would need to ask your local vet for a recommendation of a potential referal to an avian specialist if he/she is not confident in examining birds.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I’ve rang every vet I know they either can’t see him or won’t register a new patient
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The avian vet we usually go to can’t see him til Monday

Could they do an emergency consult on welfare grounds?

If you ring them again and mention he's deteriorating, they might be able to allocate you an emergency slot.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don’t know I told them it’s urgent they just said they can’t see us til Monday another vet did say ring them back and tell them they have to see it
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I’ll try that then thank you

Vomiting in youngsters is considered an emergency since they get dehidrated quite fast.

My worry is that if he's lethargic now, we are not giving him the best chance to fight his disease if we wait till Monday to initiate treatment.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
My boss managed to get a bit more food into him this morning but I haven’t spoken to him since so don’t know if he’s kept it down I don’t think he’s throwing up every meal he’s not interested in food like the others are he seems tired a lot more and lethargic

You can try to crop feed some water in the meanwhile, but please try to get the little one seen as a hands-on consult.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That’s what I said but I’ve only been met with resistance

Perfect. It is quite normal with an upper GI tract infection to have inappetence. I'm not worried about that TBH.

Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Expert
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Will a little apple coder vinegar in his hand rearing food help at all?

We don;t recommend any pH modification at this point as we don;t know what we're dealing with and we could do more harm then good.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok thank you

Usually we decide on altering the pH after GI investigations. I wouldn't try him on more than water + his usual food for now.

You're more than welcome. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We will do just a little and more often
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I think that’s everything thank you

Yes, that sounds like a good plan.