Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

My cat has developed an allergy to spot-on flea treatment. I

Customer Question

Hi, my cat has developed an allergy to spot-on flea treatment. I have noticed that the last 4/5 times she has been treated, she is so so itchy afterwards for about 2/3 weeks, then it settles until the next treatment so that's all it can be. She doesn't break the skin or become raw but she over-washes and scratches a lot, it must feel so uncomfortable. I am looking at other options but the tablets don't seem to be as good as spot-on. I know my vet can give me something but she hates travelling and as I know what it is, I don't want to put her through the stress. Are there any other things I can do? And is there anything I can do to soothe her now without having to bath her or wipe something on her? Again just trying to avoid stress. Thanks
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Fleas can be tricky to get rid of, but the Expert can share some tips. What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Princess, and 12 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.

Which product have you used?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I am at work, this is better
Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.
That’s ok, I’m happy to text. Please ignore the phone call request; the system sends that automatically
Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.
Which product have you been using?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have used Frontline and the Pets at Home brand, I can look quickly at which one, both spot-ons
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Avantage
Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.
I see. And is she reacting just where you apply the solution? At the back of the neck? Or do we have more of a generalised reaction (abdomen,
Legs)
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
More generalised - all over really
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
she reacts at the point of application at first, usually loses a bit of hair and itches there, but that has passed in the past, more recently it just seems to carry on
Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.
Thank you. Please allow me a few.minutes to type my reply
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.
Based on the information you have provided so far my best recommendation would be to get the little one booked at your vets for skin investigations. I strongly suspect we are dealing with a marked preservative sensitivity, but all the product that you’ve been using our over-the-counter medication. I’d personally recommend to see your local vet for hands on examination and try something like Bravecto or Nexgard Combo for cats and see if that still gives a bad reaction.
Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.
I am a little bit concerned about the generalised reaction as with spot-on sensitivity we usually see just a localised fur loss
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK, thank you, ***** ***** do that. Thanks so much for your help. Concerned in what way?
Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.
I’m just thinking if there isn’t an underlying condition like flea saliva allergy go on immune-mediated disease
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK, thanks so much
Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.
But that would have to be confirmed after an examination. If you have any pictures from when the skin was really bad it will be useful for my vwt colleague to see those at the time of the appointment
Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.
You’re more than welcome. If you’ve got any further questions or worries please let me know
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No I don't, it only lasted a day or two where some fur was lost, it was never red or anything like that or I would have taken her to the vet
Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.
My product of choice for skin-issues in cats is Bravecto. If they still react, there are a few “tablets” that cover external parasites but we all know hard it is to “convince” our feline friends to accept monthly pills
Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.
Unfortunately, the Bravecto is classed as POM-V and she’ll need a hands-on examination before we can dispense that
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ah I see, thank you. I will get her booked in. Will they do bloods or anything like that?
Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.
We don’t usually do bloods for skin issues. If fur looks damaged, they might offer a skin work-up (hair pluck, microscopic evaluation of a skin scrape, staining, etc). But to prescribe Bravecto, they shouldn’t need to do any of that.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Amazing thank you again. Just emailing my vets to make the appointment
Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.
Glad to hear that. This chat will remain open for a few days, so if you want to come back and ask any further questions, please do so.Have a lovely rest of the day!
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you so much
Expert:  Teodora B replied 16 days ago.
You’re more than welcome. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.Kind regards,
Teodora B.
MRCVS