Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog ate some small fragments of plastic last night and he

Customer Question

hi my dog ate some small fragments of plastic last night and he is struggling to go to the toilet this afternoon, he ate this morning ok he is a large dog (doberman 42kg) what he ate was the bits of film from the clear packaging of a dog food tray my current vets where i am registered are not available there is nobody available to see him they have said. i have called around and no vets local will see him today so i am concerned is it a medical emergancy?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** is 8.5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Thank you, ***** ***** just that he did have surgery 6 weeks ago and did not respond great the the anesthetic so just concerned if he would need anything to put him under
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 19 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.Typically with an ingestion like this in such a big dog we wouldn't expect an adverse reaction and most would simply pass the fragments.However, given his signs, a vet visit is best.
I'm not sure why a vet can't make an urgent application for him? Most vets should be able to fit in non routine appointments like this on an emergency basis. I would keep calling local vets as one will fit you in.At home, feed some bulky food such as cooked Pumpkin and bread which may help bind things and help them pass.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
ok thank you
Absolutely.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.