Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My French bulldog keeps breathing inward it happened once

Hi there, my French bulldog keeps breathing inward it happened once before when he was stressed at the vets but it’s happening very frequently now as in he’s gasping for air like a panick attack and sometimes he finds it hard to settle down
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. I know gasping can certainly be worrying. Does the French Bulldog have a cough as well?
Customer: No cough
JA: What's the French Bulldog's name and age?
Customer: Troy and 2 years old on December 2nd this year
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Troy?
Customer: hes not eating normally either but apart from that he’s okay

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Troy is not right.

Do you mean he is reverse sneezing? If unsure what this is, there are several good videos on You Tube.

How often does it happen and how long do the episodes last?

In between episodes are his energy levels or breathing affected?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It can very but it’s just recently he’s stopped eating his wet food And his episodes can last from a few seconds to a few minutes but can happen up to 5-6 times a day
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He does pant a lot afterward but we try and take his mind off it when it happens

Thank you for this additional information.

If you could send a video of the events that would be helpful.

If it is a reverse sneeze, these can be normal but it sound like they are happening very frequently for him and it is a worry that signs persists after the event.

Given that Troy is a Frenchie, we need to consider Brachycephalic upper Airway Syndrome. Dogs can have narrowed airways (and other defects) which can affect their breathing. Has he ever been assessed for this?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I don’t have a video but when it happens again I’ll make sure to video it and when it first happened the vet said that if it happened continuously to get him assessed but it didn’t at that time until now it’s continuous but also we have an issue with him itching all the time we’ve given him all the flea treatments he has a flea collar and everything but nothing working
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also my partner gets itchy and when he strokes him if he hasn’t had his daily wash his hand goes red I don’t realise the itching due to me having eczema but he gets it a lot
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also not only that only in the resent months give or take 4 months he’s been aggressive to some other dogs which is not like him to do that and sometimes has bad side to myself where he can go for me when he’s tired or irritated which has only been in the past 4 months too

So, these are quite a few unrelated issues here.

Firstly, a video would be helpful to determine what is going on with his respiratory system. We may consider some basic tests such as a chest xray if concerned. Some Frenchies benefit from surgery to help widen their airways.

Itching can have many causes including allergies, bacterial or yeast infections, mites etc. Some basic skin tests such as a skin swab and scrape are usually the first step and he may require some anti itch medicine to settle things down.

Your partner may have a dog dander or saliva allergy and should discuss this with their GP. Parasites such as mites can be infectious to humans but there would be skin lesions.

Flea collars (unless you mean the Seresto collar) are rarely effective. Spot on such as Advocate are best. Ensure all pets are treated, as well as the home.

With regards ***** ***** this is serious and needs to be addressed asap. It is possible it is driven by the discomfort of his itching as any medical issues can mean a dog is less tolerant of people and animals. I would firstly address his medical issues with his vet and, if the behaviour continues, seek assistance from a canine behaviourist who can assess him and provide a tailored plan.

Ensure he is getting plenty of mental and physical stimulation (in the form of walks, training, food puzzles, interactive toys etc) and consider some calming supplements and a calming collar such as an Adaptil collar.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Wow amazing thank you for helping us as we were very worried and all this has helped us a lot thank you for all this advice I’ll book him an appointment to see the vet to get him assessed if need be

Not at all and very happy to be of help!

Wishing Troy all the very best, ***** *****

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you so so much