Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

New cat isn't eating, Ruby, 5 years, No

Customer Question

New cat isn't eating
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Ruby, 5 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Ruby has not been eating.

When did you adopt her?

Does she have any other signs?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I adopted her last Saturday and she was tense at first but acts normally now, purrs and sleeps on my lap... She has sneezed a couple of times but it doesnt happen often, today she slept all day and wouldn't wake up if I'd come in the room,( she is normally very alert) She woke now an hr ago and walked around a lil but she is sleeping again

Thank you for this additional information.

And your main concern is a lack of appetite?

What is she eating?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She only licked herf
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry about that, sent by mistake
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I gave her the same brand of food her previous owner would feed her, both dry and wet food, she only has a couple of bites of the dry food and only licks the wet one. She drinks some water
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
But overall she has very little to no food daily
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Although it has increased over the last days, the amount she eats is still worrying, especially because she looks like she is losing weight and energy

This is a concern, especially as you feel she has lost weight.

While stress and a house move can cause reduced appetite and increased anxiety, we would have expected things to have improved at this stage. Also, we would not typically expect visible weight loss.

At this point, a vet visit is best in case of an underlying issue such as dental disease, pancreatitis or an infection.

At home, offer warm and tempting food such s fish or chicken with rice, in an attempt to get her appetite up.

Do also consider some calming supplements such as Zylkene and a Feliway plug in, to help her settle in.

Encourage 'non confrontational' games such as laser or wind up mouse pointing, so she has the option of joining in if she feels up to it.

She should have her own space and resources including a cat tree, bed, bowls, toys etc.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Okay, she used to play but now she stopped and spends her time sleeping

Bless her, this would make me more concerned there may be a medical issue.

Some conditions, such as cystitis, can be triggered by the stress of a house move.

The vet will check her over and may run some tests such as a blood and urine test.

Hopefully she is back to normal very shortly.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Really hope so, thanks for your time

Not at all and stay safe.