Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My puppy appears to be out of character and a bit lathergic

Hello, my puppy appears to be out of character and a bit lathergic - he’s eating fine but can’t seem to get much fluids in him. He’s slept most of that day which isn’t normal for him and I’m really not sure what to do
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How long has the puppy been lethargic? Any changes in his appetite?
Customer: Thank you, ***** ***** 11am today, no changes in anything routine. Had his second jabs last Tuesday and has been fine up until today
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: Not that I’m aware of as I’ve been with him all day
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Ludo
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Ludo?
Customer: Hes 14 weeks, black lab weighs just over 12.6kg

Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Ludo has not been himself.

is his puppy food a wet or tinned diet?

Are his gums pink and wet?

Any other signs such as vomiting, diarrhoea, a bloated abdomen or fast breathing?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello, he has dry food, gums are all normal looking - he is teething, he’s had loose bowels but he has banana in his Kong yesterday, Tum appears fine and he was panting today but it has been really warm

Thank you for this additional information,

Any signs of heat stroke such as glazed eyes, red gums, continued panting or vomiting?

Is he still panting or is he settled?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I’m not sure what to look for in heat stroke for dogs.It was bouts of panting which only last a short period of time and no vomiting.He’s currently asleep in his crate with the door open but he’s slept a lot longer than usual today

Signs are variable but include those mentioned above such as continued panting, glazed eyes, red gums, vomiting, wobbly walking or confusion.

He would also have a high temperature.

Warm weather can make pups more lethargic and if he has eaten and his gums are pink and wet and there are no other symptoms I would not be overly concerned. However, it is important we keep a close eye, especially given his age.

It may be sensible to encourage water drinking by adding water to his meals, offering ice cubes and offering a dog safe, watery broth.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you very much for all your help, I’ll be sure to keep an eye on him and research doggy broth!

No problem at all.

Doggy broth, to me, is as simple as boiling some chicken in water and offering the chicken flavoured water when cool or lukewarm. A dog is much more likely to drink this than regular drinking water!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Amazing, thank you again! Certainly the peace of mind I needed!

Not at all, happy to be able to help.

This window will stay open so you can check back at any time.

Wishing  Ludo all the very best.