Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I hope you’re well. I wanted to ask for advice regarding my

Hi there I hope you’re well. I wanted to ask for advice regarding my dog. He’s started to stop eating and we are very concerned as to what to do
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the dog's appetite? Any changes in energy?
Customer: We noticed it about two weeks ago where he wouldn’t finish his food but he still would eat. Now he doesn’t eat unless it’s specific foods. He is still normal in terms of energy
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No, not at all
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Sis?
Customer: No, not at the top of my head
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Any other signs such as weight loss, bad breath, red gums, lethargy or a bloated abdomen?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No, there are no signs that I have noticed. He isn’t lethargic at all and wants to go on walks all the time
Thank you.And is he still eating some food? I.e. he hasn't lost weight?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He is eating a little bit of food if we force him but it’s still very little for a large dog
he is under weight or he is small for his breed?
And he is 5 YEARS old, correct?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No he’s not underweight he’s just not eating enough for his size. He’s around 40kg
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
he is 5 years old
Ok, I understand.And would he let you look inside his mouth for e.g. a broken tooth, to tongue ulcer or dental disease?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I can try but I don’t think so
If you can't, please don't worry or risk anything.
If unable to, just let me know.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I also want to add on he does eat treats and eats food if we prepare it
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Like chicken
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok I’ll try now and I’ll let you know
Ok sure, so perhaps more of a fussiness than a total lack of appetite. That's helpful to know.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’ve just checked. He’s got pink gums, the teeth look fine. I couldn’t look into the back teeth or his tongue however
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ahh that’s so good to hear. It’s still good to check up with the vets just in case or else I won’t be comfortable with it
I understand, thank you.I would want to check his weight every few days to ensure he isn't losing weight. Similarly, we need to monitor closely for the development of any further signs such as vomiting, panting, a bloated abdomen, lethargy or change in thirst level.Some dogs become fussy because they know "tastier" food like chicken will be produced. Others may need less calories if less active due to the heat.It sometimes can be the first sign of a dog being unwell so if it continues or Sis develops more signs, a vet visit would be needed. They will examine his mouth thoroughly and may run some basic tests such as a blood test and abdominal scan.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I will be following on with my local vets for sure, thank you so much for your help
Not at all and wishing Sis all the very best.