Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My Labrador has developed a droopy eye and is out of sorts

Customer Question

My Labrador has developed a droopy eye and is out of sorts in himself.its red
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you notice the Labrador had this red eye? Does he have any allergies?
Customer: Today, and no has no allergies
JA: And what's the Labrador's name and age?
Customer: Mario he's nine. He's been panting a lot recently
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Mario?
Customer: no.normaly he's fit and well
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Mario has this issue and appreciate you must be concerned.Could you please send a clear photo of his eye?Has he any signs of an ear infection (e.g. Head shaking or a smelly ear) and is he blinking as normal?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can I leave this page to take a photo? He has no head shaking ect
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He is blinking normally
you can leave this page.A photo can be posted here or emailed to me at***@******.***

Without further information or a photo it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I shall certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

Mario's signs could be due to e.g. an eye infection, corneal ulcer, Horners disease (an inflammation of the nerves near the eye), an inner ear infection etc.

A vet visit is best to check him all over, assess his nerve function and closely examine the eye.  The vet should stain it for any ulcers and flush for any foreign bodies.

Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g antibiotics and anti inflammatories.