Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Just came home and my dog has gotten into a cupboard and

Customer Question

Hello, just came home and my dog has gotten into a cupboard and eaten some chocolate and some protein bars containing raisins. Should I take him to the emergency vet?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How many raisins did the dog eat? Do you know his weight?
Customer: It can't have been many. There wasn't much of a chocolate bar left to eat. I'd say five or 6 at most. He's about 30kg
JA: When was this? Has he thrown up since then?
Customer: We were out for about 3 hours so it could have been anytime I've taken him on a walk since and he's not been sick or had any bad bowel movements
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 11
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Mickey?
Customer: He takes half a paracetamol with his food twice a day
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 7 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.Absolutely, please go to your nearest emergency vet now to induce vomiting.Chocolate is only toxic at certain doses but raisins can cause kidney disease even in small amounts.The sooner he is seen and vomiting is induced, the better Mickey's prognosis.

This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.

Wishing Mickey all the very best.