How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Linda Simmon Your Own Question
Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 5574
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Linda Simmon is online now

Just came home and my dog has gotten into a cupboard and

Customer Question

Hello, just came home and my dog has gotten into a cupboard and eaten some chocolate and some protein bars containing raisins. Should I take him to the emergency vet?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How many raisins did the dog eat? Do you know his weight?
Customer: It can't have been many. There wasn't much of a chocolate bar left to eat. I'd say five or 6 at most. He's about 30kg
JA: When was this? Has he thrown up since then?
Customer: We were out for about 3 hours so it could have been anytime I've taken him on a walk since and he's not been sick or had any bad bowel movements
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 11
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Mickey?
Customer: He takes half a paracetamol with his food twice a day
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 7 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.Absolutely, please go to your nearest emergency vet now to induce vomiting.Chocolate is only toxic at certain doses but raisins can cause kidney disease even in small amounts.The sooner he is seen and vomiting is induced, the better Mickey's prognosis.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 7 days ago.

This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.

Wishing Mickey all the very best.