Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My guinea pig has just given birth to 8 babies although only

My guinea pig has just given birth to 8 babies although only 4 lived! She has been acting strange and not wanting to be held the last few weeks but we presumed that was just due to the size of her! however now she has given birth we have noticed the underside of her is red and raw and bald- and on her legs, and now she can reach she is making it worse as it is obviously itching and causing her distress! could it be mange? there is nothing to show from looking at her normally- only if you look at her underneath?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your guinea pig?
Customer: described above...
JA: Where does your guinea pig seem to hurt?
Customer: her tummy and legs
JA: OK. What is your guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Daisy- she is around 9/10 months old and just given birth to her 2nd litter
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: she seems ok right now, seems to be letting the babies feed. We were worried she was so itching that she wouldn't let them near her but she seems to be fine with them thankfully

Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

Congratulations to Daisy.

I'm sorry to hear not all of the little ones made it but hopefully the surviving four are doing well.

Baldness and red skin can have several causes including a bacterial or yeast infection, mites (mange as you say), an allergic reaction or something else.

Frustratingly, most of the common medicine we use isn't proven to be safe during lactation.

The safest thing to do would be to have Daisy examined by a vet who may run some basic tests (such as a skin scrape and swab) so we get an accurate diagnosis.

Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g. specifci anti parasite threapty or antibiotics.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thanks very much. Yes the babies are doing fine! I was just surprised that if it was mange it didn't show on her head or anywhere else, but is this normal that it is just underneath?

During pregnancy and lactation, the hormones often cause thing fur and fur loss, especially over the mammary glands.

This can make any skin disease more visible on the abdomen.

As the skin is red raw, we know there is more going on than just hormonal fur loss.

You're right that mange typically affects the head and ears but can affect anywhere.

As mentioned, there are other possibilities, which is why it is important we have her skin checked and start the right tretament.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
thanks very much for your help, I'll take her to see someone today! she seems alot better today- to look at her you wouldn't know anything is wrong- not itching and lets the babies under her