Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have two cocapoos. 3 weeks ago one dog started to sneeze

Customer Question

I have two cocapoos. 3 weeks ago one dog started to sneeze frequently and do some reverse sneezing. He kept doing this for a week or so then the second dog developed the same. the first dogs has stopped the sneezing, however has development red/hot ears and some hair loss around his scalp. his scalp is very red, and he is chewing his paws sometimes. the second dog had developed a crusty eye with green pus. I suspect mites, my vet examined them both and thinks allergy. therefore gave me steroids for the dog with the red scalp and eye drops for the one with the eye infection. i would just like a second opionion
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jack and Alfie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no thats it for now
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.Mites are usually very easy to diagnose. They cause intense itching, fur loss and scabbing and the worst affected areas are the ears, paws and elbows.A vet would usually perform a skin scrape if suspicious of mites.It is highly infectious so usually both dogs would be effective. If they are up to date with a good quality parasite prevention such as Advocate, mites are less likely.I would agree atopic dermatitis or allergies are more likely the cause of the first dog's symptoms though a skin scrape would be sensible to perform.If steroids work, an allergy is all but confirmed as they wouldn't usually help a dog with mites.The second dog may have a bacterial conjunctivitis and he should have had his eye stained and the tear production checked in case of an ulcer or dry eyes.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** dog did have his eye lid stained, and checked and they said there was no damage.Could the allergy be due to change of food that happened weeks before?
It is certainly possible.Cockapoos commonly have allergies.
Allergies occur between the ages of 1 and 5 and can be to many things including foods and environmental triggers such as grass or pollen.You might consider a hydrolyzed diet trial with e.g. Hills Z/D, or transitioning back to the old food, if a food allergy is a possibility. Changes can take 8 weeks to manifest.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thanks again, I am changing back to their old food and will keep an eye on their symptoms
Fingers crossed we see an improvement soon.Take care.