Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 13 year old Staffordshire terrier has vomited twice and

Customer Question

My 13 year old Staffordshire bull terrier has vomited twice and his eyes are twitching side to side
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: its more foamy than liquidy and the first lot had lots of food in it
JA: Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: ive looked around the garden for anything he could’ve eaten and haven’t found anything
JA: What's the Staffordshire Bull Terrier's name?
Customer: rufus
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Rufus?
Customer: he’s 13 years old, has had an ear infection recently which we are not sure has been cured and had a spinal stroke a couple of years ago
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this.His eyes are exhibiting nystagmus which can me his balance centre or nervous sysyem are affected. Nausea and vomiting can occur when balance is affected.Potential causes would include an inner ear infection, idiopathic vestibular disease, a stroke, toxin ingestion, liver disease etc.Given his recent ear infection I'd be very suspicious it has lingered and stress to the middle or inner ear.A vet visit is needed to examine him and perform a neurological exam.Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g antibiotics and anti inflammatory as well as anti nausea medicine.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. How serious should I take this? Can this wait until tomorrow?
I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK.As there may be a serious and urgent issue, such as an infection of the central nervous system or bleed on the brain, the sooner he is seen the better.We would hope it is nothing that serious but the sooner be is seen the better, just in case.Also, the sooner any required medicine is started, the better.