Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

Raised red lump on my dog's neck. Started last week but

Customer Question

Raised red lump on my dog's neck. Started last week but wasn't red. Sent a picture to our vets as they didn't have appointments and they said it could be from a bite or sting and to keep an eye. Today I've noticed it's red and has bled.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Albus Berant and he is 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He has had an eye infection two weeks ago and has eye drops
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 15 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Can you upload photos of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device.  You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (16V5173)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Attached above

Thank you.  Give me a moment to take a look, please.

This well-circumscribed skin lesion doesn't represent a bite or sting. It appears to be a laceration with protruding flesh.  You can keep it clean and disinfected twice daily with over the counter chlorhexidine solution such as Hibitane (or generics) found in your local pharmacy and it will heal by second intention (no stitches) in 14-21 days.  Stitches will shorted healing time to 7-10 days.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok

Please see my post directly above your "Ok".

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
A laceration is a cut isn't it? The bump has been there for two weeks already. Only today it has started bleeding which I ghink is from him scratching or that it has got to a point where it has popped.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It feels like a large pimple

Thank you. The main differential is a histiocytoma - ("button tumor") - a benign neoplasm of mononuclear cells derived from epidermal Langerhans' cells. I apologize for the pedantry. It's common in dogs with the highest incidence in young adults younger than 4 years of age. It usually manifests as a solitary, rapidly growing, firm, well-circumscribed, erythematous (reddened), raised, alopecic dermal nodule that ranges from 0.5 to 4 cm in diameter. Lesions may be ulcerated and occur most commonly on the head, ear pinnae, and legs. Observation without treatment is reasonable because most lesions regress spontaneously within 3 months. Surgical excision or cryotherapy is curative for lesions that don't regress spontaneously.

Images of histiocytomas: https://www.google.com/search?q=histiocytoma+vs+mast+cell+tumor&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi48dKy6o7gAhXOmq0KHWG6BgIQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=938

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
should we be worried?

Histiocytomas are benign in most instances. To allay your fears, have Albus' vet needle aspirate this and examine the aspirate microscopically. Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

It's my pleasure.