Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My puppy has been doing mushy poos since I got her. Mostly

Customer Question

Hi there- my puppy has been doing mushy poos since I got her. Mostly in the mornings. She does a very big almost like mountain of a mushy poo that is hard to fully pick up and some stays on the floor. She seems perfectly healthy in all other respects I’ve had her checked at the vet and she’s hydrated etc. Should I be worried about the poo or can some puppies just be like this?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Did the puppy eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: No I even switched her food to see if this would stop
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: ruby
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Ruby?
Customer: no
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 12 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently? How old is the puppy? Current on vaccinations and dewormer?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She’s 3 and a half months. No she hasn’t had any changes. She pees a lot but I think that’s normal for pups? Just her mushy morning poos. She’s up to date with her vaccinations and dewormer
The GI tract is full of normal bacterial flora. However, at times this normal flora can start to alternate and change to a not as healthy flora. This can lead to signs such as looser stools and even vomiting. Triggering factors for this can be changes in diet, stress, parasite, etc. This all can have a profound effect on the harmony in the GI tract. Leading subsequently to gastro-intestinal changes. The following can help the GI tract to a more normal health.Psyllium, which is the active ingredient in Metamucil, can be added at a rate of 1 tsp/10 pounds of body weight twice a day to the food. This will add fiber and will also be soothing to the lining of the intestinal tract. This can be added to the food you are currently using and can be used as long as it takes for the stools to form better. It may be good to go an additional 3-5 days longer than when the stools return to normal also. Psyllium husk can be found over the counter at the pharmacy. Metamucil is one brand name, there may be many generic powder forms also to look for.Kaolin/Pectin also can be looked for to soothe the GI tract also. The following is an example, there may be many different brand names to look for also:https://www.vetoquinolusa.com/pro-pectalin#tab-0-2
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok so there is something wrong with her or can loose stools be normal in puppies?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Do you mean I can buy this at my pharmacy or I have to buy it specifically for dogs? And how much do you recommend adding for my puppy? She’s 11kg
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
A labrador
Did your veterinarian run a fecal test when you were at the clinic?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No they did not.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
They gave me probiotics and she ate chicken and rice for a week then over a week I changed her food gradually to a gluten free holistic kibble
No one dewormer addresses all parasites. If loose stools are seen in a puppy it can be good to have a fecal test ran to look for parasites too.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok- if she did have a parasite wouldn’t there be other symptoms?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She’s totally fine eats, drinks runs around and is full of energy
Psyllium husk is found over the counter at the pharmacy and an 11 kg dog would receive 2.5 tsp every 12 hours.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok I will try this from tomorrow
If there is a GI parasite loose stools are the most common sign. That is why often if puppies are having looser stools a fecal test can be quite standard. The psyllium husk added can be most beneficial too.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok. I have to deworm her next week . Should I do it sooner or wait till then?
When was the last dewormer? What dewormer is it(active ingredient)?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It was on the 18th of august and I use frontal it has febantel 15mg and pyrantel 5mg
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Drontal*
That is a very good broad spectrum dewormer. Often it is repeated 10-14 days later. If it has been that long or longer. Then may be a good time to deworm again.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok the vet said as she’s three months i should do it monthly now but I’ll do it tomorrow
Often it is done monthly. However the first time or if concern of parasites like roundworms then deworming again in 10-14 days to address potential roundworm larval stages Not killed by the First dose.
You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Ruby today. I wish Ruby a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.