Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has been sick over the past 20 hours and now I’ve

Customer Question

My dog has been sick over the past 20 hours and now I’ve noticed bright red blood from his bottom with runny poo. He doesn’t want to go for a walk but has had a little food and water
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Did the dog eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: not that we know of. We are visiting my Mum so it’s a different environment but his diet is the same unless he picked something up in the park
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jacko. He is a Lakeland terrier aged 10 and otherwise very fit and healthy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Jacko?
Customer: not really
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 15 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Jacko. You appear to be describing the acute hemorrhagic diarrhea syndrome – previously called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. This is an umbrella term that refers to hemorrhagic enteritis or colitis associated with a number of infectious and non-infectious causes and that typically lasts less than a week in duration. Most important, it can dehydrate and electrolyte imbalance such a small dog quite quickly and these dogs can be lost within 24-48 hours. I encourage your finding a 24-hour veterinary facility where he could be hospitalized on IV fluids and ancillary care be given parenterally - in any manner other than orally.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He is drinking plenty of water and just had a bite to eat

Thank you. That makes his prognosis better. Please continue in this conversation if you wish.