Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

I just discovered a very painful inflammation with swelling

Customer Question

Hi i just discovered a very painful inflammation with swelling on my dogs back side. My vet is not open till tomorrow morning can i give her paracetamol for pain?
JA: The Vet will know if the dog can have that. Have you noticed the dog licking at the swelling?
Customer: yes she is licking it . It seems very sore so i want to alleviate the pain till tomorrow
JA: Hi there. What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: sienna 5 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Sienna?
Customer: no thats it
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I would like advice on giving Sienna a painkiller
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 14 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Sienna. As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin (Bayer, generics) dosed at 22 mg per kg of bodyweight with food at 12-hour intervals or paracetamol which can be dosed at 15 mg per kg of bodyweight thrice daily but isn’t anti-inflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and paracetamol concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. When giving paracetamol for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 11 mg/kg of bodyweight twice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

Can you upload photos of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device. You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

You're quite welcome. Can you send photos?