Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My 5 year old jack russell has suddenly gone lame in her

Customer Question

My 5 year old jack russell has suddenly gone lame in her left front leg this afternoon. She will stand on it but prefers to carry it. I have no idea what happened, no accident to my knowledge.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, s he had a tummy bug last week and was on antibiotics for 5 days but has recovered well from this. She has no history of lameness.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Regrettably, assessing the extent of injury from afar is a fool's errand for me. You can provide pain relief, however, and see it will suffice to normalize your JR.

As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin (Bayer, generics) dosed at 22 mg per kg of bodyweight with food at 12-hour intervals or paracetamol which can be dosed at 15 mg per kg of bodyweight thrice daily but isn’t anti-inflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and paracetamol concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. When giving paracetamol for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 11 mg/kg of bodyweight twice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

Simple injury should respond to an analgesic within a week's time. If you didn't see an appreciable improvement within that time period, her vet will want to attend to her.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK thank you, I'll give her some paracetamol tonight. My vet is open in the morning and I will call them.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.