Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

I have a pet rat (female) who has lost quite a lot of fur,

hi i have a pet rat (female) who has lost quite a lot of fur, and has now developed a red lump on the side of her stomach.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the rat had this lump?
Customer: i noticed last week, and i called my vet and they said just to keep an eye on it.
JA: What's the rat's name and age?
Customer: Ivy and she’s nearly 1
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: i noticed she has scratched the lump this evening which has caused it to bleed a little.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Ivy. Can you upload photos of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device. You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (G741426)

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (ZQ4Q7VP)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
these are from last week.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
the lump has gotten bigger since then.

I see the alopecia and small area of excoriated skin. Regrettably, I can't get a good look at the skin because it's covered with her haircoat. You can't monitor (only) a lump she has scratched as they're often malignant and painful resulting in her scratching. The most common tumor of rats is the mammary fibroadenoma but these aren't painful unless they ulcerate after growing to an enormous size.

The area of her alopecia is most likely from self-induced licking perhaps due to referred pain from the lump. Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
is it treatable would you think? i don’t want her to be in pain, the lump is now probably a little bigger than a 5p coin now.

Yes, but it would entail surgery as these don't respond to conservative (medical) care. Please continue in this conversation if you wish.