Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My dog was bitten by another dog and has puncture wounds

Customer Question

My dog was bitten by another dog and has puncture wounds near the rear left leg he licks it and ive put germaline on it and its bleeding small amounts
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the bleeding start?
Customer: Probably about an hour ago
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Deefa 7or8
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Hes a husky and his fur is thick in that area so there might be more than one puncture
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 14 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Deefa. Please note that any full skin thickness bite wounds will fester and abscess if a systemic antibiotic isn't onboard within 48 hours of the bite. Topical (only) care fails because teeth inject bacteria underneath the skin. Please have Deefa's vet attend to him at your earliest convenience. It can avoid surgery!

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hes registered at the pdsa i will get him there tomorrow

I'm pleased to hear this.  I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.