JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

Guinea pig birth and stillborn, Do I put stillborn back with

Customer Question

Hello there
JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Guinea pig birth and stillborn
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the guinea pig's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Do I put stillborn back with its mother for a while
JA: When was the guinea pig last seen by a vet?
Customer: speak to an advisor
JA: What's the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: milo age 10 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She has given birth to 2 other pups but the 3rd was stillborn, I took it out to try and revive it but had no success :( do I need to put him back with mum? Also she is not eating the placentas shall I remove them? Thank you
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr. Jake. Im a UK based vet. im sorry ot hear of your concerns with your guinea pig. it is good news that she has delivered some of the young naturally. with the stillborn, i would remove this as unfortunately the body will start to rot and this isnt good for the babies or mum to be around, i would also remove the placenta if she hasnt eaten them .

if you have any further questions please let me know

thanks

Dr. Jake

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you Dr Jake, I wondered if I had to leave him in there for a little while so she knew he had passed but I’ve kept him out. It’s been a few hours and she hasn’t eaten the placentas am I ok to remove these now? Will her milk still come through without eating them? The cage is still quite messy and she doesn’t seem keen to clean it like I thought can I do a spot clean? Mum is otherwise doing well with her babies
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 15 days ago.

Hi, yes this is all fine, i would remove the placentas but i wouldnt disturb her too much so jus pick the worst bits out , her milk should still come without eating the placentas . im glad she is doing well

thanks

Dr. jake