JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

Our puppy has had diarrhoea since we picked him up

Our puppy has had diarrhoea since we picked him up yesterday
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Did the puppy eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: Not that I know of, we only picked him up yesterday
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Koda
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Koda?
Customer: There was a reddish tinge to the last stool, I'm not sure of it was blood

Hi there, you are through to Dr. Jake. Im a UK based vet. im sorry to hear of your concern with your dog, Koda. we see diarrhoea commonly in young puppies when they go to new homes, there could be a few reasons for this.

moving to a new house for a puppy can be stressful and stress related diarrhoea can be occurring - using adaptil plug ins and pet remedy sprays can help while they settle in

if you have changed the food the puppy was on, or have added in new treats or snacks since picking the puppy up sometimes new food items can cause this as the body isnt used to these new foods or treats, sometimes they can be quite rich especially for a young puppy.

other common causes of this in puppies is intestinal parasites, hopefully the breeder has wormed the litter prior to passing them on to their new home and if not, i would recommend getting some treatment from your vets.

this may resolve over the next 24 hours though if it doesnt i would recommend making an appointment with your vet for a full examination and some medications to be given, this usually consists of pre and pro biotics to help replenish the healthy bacteria in the gut and help bind the loose stools. if koda hasnt been wormed recently then they will also be able to provide you with some worming treatment

the red colour may be a small amount of blood, this isnt a big concern unless a large amount of blood is present

i hope all this information helps

kind regards

Dr. jake

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** very worried about the potential blood more than anything else, so your response has put my mind at ease a little as if it was blood it was definitely only a little.
I read that plain boiled white rice, boiled chicken and sweet potato may be good to help settle puppies stomachs. Would you recommend this?
The breeder said that the puppy had been 'a little runny' when I collected him, they also said he had been wormed just over a week ago, but I'm obviously not sure if this is 100% true. I have bought some worming treatment, would it harm Koda if he was to have an extra dose before the 2 weeks period?
Thank you so much for your quick response!! I have been so worried!
Heidi

no problem at all, yes bland food like boiled chicken and rice will be ok to help settle this until it has resolved, if wormed recently, i would hold off using the worming treatment you have just now until the diarrhoea has cleared. i would be cautious about using worming treatment which hasnt been prescribed from your vet, the over the counter worming treatments generally arent as effective as they dont have adequate levels of medicine required and arent as stringently regulated

thanks

Dr. Jake