Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

We have a kitten who is only 4 weeks old…his mother died and

We have a kitten who is only 4 weeks old…his mother died and although he seems happy and contented and is eating wet foods he hasn’t had a poo..we have tried to stimulate the area with tissues and unfragrenced wet wipes but nothing..we are worried that the amount he is putting in and the amount he is not getting out is going to cause him distress and illness. Can you help?
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the kitten's name and age?
Customer: orio 4 2”weeks old, orphaned
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Orio?
Customer: Only that he has lost his mother far too early
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.When did he last poo?Can you see an opening at the anus?Does he strain or have a bloated belly?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He has just done one…which is a relief, for him…and us.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He doesn’t seem overly bloated at all, but I’m not an expert
Oh great!I was concerned as sometimes a kitten cannot poo due to a congenital defect.Was the poo normal and is he acting as normal?Has he been treated for worms?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Not yet.. it’s my sons kitten, he wasn’t due to have him until the 8 weeks were up but due do the kittens mother dying, he took possession very early and is hand rearing. The poo was slightly sticky a bit like dough
Thank you for this additional information.Kittens should be wormed from 2 weeks so, if not done, he should go ahead and treat the little one with Panacur. It is available without prescription from pet shop, vets and online.Ensure he is drinking plenty and I would give a wet kitten food such as Royal Canin Mother & Baby.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you so much.. It’s like being a worried parent all over again. Thank God for a service like this.