Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat is only 14 months old so a kitten still. However I

My cat is only 14 months old so a kitten still. However I think she has Hookworm
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your kitten?
Customer: She's got a bloated belly, constantly hungry, excreting bloody loose stools
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Harley
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She's had all of her vaccinations and her boosters, she's also neutered

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

If Harley has a bloated belly and bloody loose stools, then hookworms are possible but also we'd have to consider other parasites/protozoa (eg Giardia, tritrichomonas, etc). Also we cannot exclude a bacterial infection or a nasty virus (eg FIP) if she has a bloated belly from fluid build up. Now if there is a fluid build up, that usually means the situation is severe and in that case we'd want her seen to be safe. Ideally we want stool testing, assessment for fluid accumulation and she may need fluids as well as antibitoics or anti-protozoals. Any delay and do make sure she keeps eating to get nutrients into her. You can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) to her meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. And that is important since we'd lean away from anti-diarrheals if she is passing blood (these can worsen their situations in some infections). And if you did want to treat for worms, you can give her an OTC cat specific wormer from the pet store at this point as well (make sure it covers for hookworms). Once her vet seens her and tests a stool sample, we will know right where we stand with Harley and ensure we get her treated as effectively as possible.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have already treated her for worms 3 weeks ago. Do you think I should do it again?

Hi again,

If it has been three weeks yet we have these signs that means one of two things. Either this is not worms (quite possible) or they are resistant to what has been used. So, a fecal test will be key here. So use the above now but that is the best way to go if we have had her treated yet her signs persist so severely.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.